Do you struggle to get to sleep? Maybe you wake up through the night and can’t get back to sleep. Or do you wake up too early? All these sleep disruptions can leave us feeling tired and lethargic, not the best way to start a new day! According to a recent publication by Matthew Walker, Director of the Centre for Human Sleep Science at the University of California, Berkeley, ‘Why we sleep: The New Science of Sleep and Dreams’, sleep deprivation can also increase our risk of cancer, Alzheimers’ disease and heart disease amongst other things. He also stated that:
- Two-thirds of adults in developed nations fail to obtain the nightly eight hours of sleep recommended
- An adult sleeping only 6.75 hours a night would be predicted to live only to their early 60s without medical intervention.
- A 2013 study reported that men who slept too little had a sperm count 29% lower than those who regularly get a full and restful night’s sleep.
- If you drive a car when you have had less than five hours’ sleep, you are 4.3 times more likely to be involved in a crash. If you drive having had four hours, you are 11.5 times more likely to be involved in an accident.
- There are now more than 100 diagnosed sleep disorders, of which insomnia is the most common.
So, you can see just how important it is to get a good nights’ sleep! Whether you struggle to get off to sleep or to stay asleep, reducing your stress and anxiety levels can help you to establish a better sleeping pattern. Our bodies natural method of reducing stress happens as we sleep. So, if we don’t get enough sleep, we don’t process our emotions properly and our anxiety levels rise………….then we don’t sleep well. A very negative cycle can be formed, one which Solution Focused Hypnotherapy can help you to break. A simple explanation of how the brain works in relation to sleep helps you to understand what may be happening and how to make things better. Hypnosis itself is an extremely relaxing experience which can help you to switch off and get to sleep. A free relaxation C.D. or download enables you to benefit from hypnosis in the comfort of your own home.